Regulations on the Cultural Heritage of Indigenous and Afro- Mexican Populations and Communities: Considerations for Companies On January 17th, 2022, the decree issuing the General Law for the Protection of the Cultural Heritage of Indigenous and Afro-Mexican Populations and Communities was published in the Mexican Federal Official Gazette. Its purpose is to acknowledge and guarantee […]
Adalberto Méndez López
Partner, Business, Human Rights & ESG at ECIJA Mexico.
Specialized attorney on Business, Human Rights and ESG consultancy and Corporate Social Responsibility projects, in the private and public sector, with a preventive legal risk focus. He has 10 years of experience on strategic litigation before different international human rights systems, corporate law and compliance consultancy.
- Business & Human Rights Counsel, and founder and responsible of the Pro-Bono practice of ECIJA Mexico.
- He is considered as one of the first attorneys in Mexico to provide legal consultancy on Business, Human Rights & ESG, and on the development of corporate social responsibility and integrity programs, focused on the prevention legal risks related with human rights violations.
- International ESG Business Consultant, certified by the International Association for Sustainable Economy (IASE), the biggest ESG certification body around the world in more than 40 countries around the world, becoming in member of its International Ethics Committee since March 2021.
- Ten years of experience on domestic and international strategic litigation on human rights, before the Universal, Interamerican and African Human Rights protection systems.
- Foreign consultant on business and human rights issues, in around 17 countries, for different organizations and public entities like the UN Development Program, the U.S. Agency for International Development, Chemonics International, Inc., the United Kingdom Foreign & Commonwealth Office, the Public Defense Office of the Government of Dominican Republic, the Women’s Equality Center, and Child Rights International Network (CRIN), among others.
- In the private sector, he works as legal intern, junior and senior associate in different lawfirms like Lee Anav Chung White Kim Ruger & Richter, LL.P., Santamarina y Steta, S.C., Ogarrio Daguerre, S.C. and BRRH Abogados, S.C. He served as Country Representative for Mexico, of the ethic New York tourism services social corporation Justice Travel, Inc.
- Has served as public officer, with experience of more than 8 years in public policy and governmental affairs, serving as diplomat at the Diplomatic Mission of Mexico to the OAS, as Executive Director of the Disability Division at the National Commission of Human Rights, Chief of Staff at the Mexican Senate and as former General Counsel and Vice Ministry of Social Security for Foreign Representation Offices of Mexico.
- He currently serves pro-bono as legal coordinator and member of the Board of Directors of the international NGO, Ending Clergy Abuse (ECA Global), as member of the Board of Director of the US NGO, Mil Mujeres, Inc., and member of the Academic Counsel of the Mexican NGO, Yo También, A.C.
- On December 7th, 2021, the Mexican Senate appointed him as member of the Advisory Council of the National Commission of Human Rights (CNDH).
- Law Bachelor Degree – Universidad La Salle, Mexico City.
- Pre-Master Program – Istanbul Bilgi Universitesi, Istanbul, Turkey
- Specialization Certificate on International Human Rights Law – American University Washington College of Law, Washington, D.C.
- Legum Magister Program on International Legal Studies – American University Washington College of Law, Washington, D.C.
- Certified as international consultant on International Sustainable Business (ISB), by the International Association for Sustainable Economy (IASE).
- Doctorate in Law (currently reading) – Escuela Libre de Derecho, Mexico City.
- Author of the book “Ombudsman Corporativo: Reflexiones sobre Derechos Humanos y Empresas” (Mexico, 2019), providing more than 350 conferences and courses in Mexico and abroad.
- Member of the Mexican Bar Association (Mexico), the National Association of Corporate Lawyers (Mexico), and the International Legal Fraternity Phi Delta Phi (U.S.A.)
- Law Professor in different academic institutions of Mexico and abroad, as, Universidad La Salle, Universidad Panamericana (UP), Escuela Libre de Derecho, Universidad Iberoamericana, Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (ITAM), Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Occidente (ITESO), Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM) and the Federal School of the Judiciary. Former Human Rights visitant professor at the Master Program on Social Work, of the SUNY University at Buffalo, in New York, and international consultant of the OAS Inter-American Institute of Human Rights in Costa Rica, Panama, Honduras, Mexico and Colombia.
- English fluent speaker, with studies on Italian and Japanese (basic levels).
On February 8, 2021, Ricardo Monreal Ávila, a senator from the party MORENA announced that he would present a legislative proposal to regulate social media in Mexico (the “proposal”). Even if the project has not been formally presented to the Mexican Congress, its content has already been made public. One of its remarks is that […]