Partner in Dispute Resolution: Litigation and Arbitration, Education Law and Sports and Entertainment at ECIJA Guatemala
T +502 2259-1200
With more than 10 years of experience, Edson specializes in Dispute Resolution: Litigation and Arbitration, Education Law and Sports and Entertainment.
- Litigator and trial lawyer in several arbitration, civil-rights, labor, administrative, contentious-administrative, children and adolescents and constitutional processes.
- Edson has experience as a member of Arbitral Tribunals in insurance and construction processes, as well as public procurement disputes. As attorney, he has represented clients in arbitrations related to banking, technology, logistics, oil & gas, energy, joint ventures, distribution agreements, public procurement disputes, construction, participation agreements, sport disputes, and shareholder agreements, among others. He has also been local counsel in Investment Treaty Arbitrations related to energy disputes and has co-chaired third party funding transactions for the acquisition of arbitral awards. He has experience in arbitration under Ad Hoc, CENAC, CRECIG, ICC and CECAP rules.
- He developed the Education Law practice area in Guatemala and since more than a decade, he recurrentlyadvises different local and international associations of private educational institutions, in addition to counseling several hundreds of private schools in Guatemala, México, Costa Rica, the Caribbean and South America. He has represented the educational private sector in a variety of technical working tables regarding laws, rules and legal instruments in educational matters. He has also created multiple policies and regulations applicable to the daily operations of educational establishments in different subjects such as bullying, school safety, discipline and peaceful co-existence, education grants as well as crisis management protocols.
- He has led and conducted forensic investigations related to fraud committed by clients and employees of small and medium-size transnational companies all over Central America, obtaining a significant recovery of financial resources for his clients.
- Law Degree – Universidad Rafael Landívar.
- Member of ICC YAF (Representative for Latin America 2017-2019).
- Member of the Spanish Club of Arbitration -CEA- (Cofounder and President of the Guatemalan chapter).
- Member of Arbitrator Intelligence (Central America Embassador).
- Member of the ICC World Business Institute.
- Member of the Directive Board of the Centro de Arbitraje y Conciliación de la Cámara de Comercio de Guatemala –CENAC- Guatemalan Chamber of Commerce.
- Member of the Latin American International Arbitration –LIA-.
- Member of the Guatemalan Institute of Education Law. (Cofounder and President of the Directive Board).
- He has participated in more than 400 forums in education management of public and private education institutions and he is a frequent panelist in Arbitration forums all over Latin America.
- He has been professor of educational legislation at Universidad Rafael Landívar, Universidad del Istmo and Universidad Internaciones in Guatemala.
- He has participated in the creation of instruments related to sports arbitration in international organizations.
- Speaks Spanish and English.