On March 20, 2020, updated on March 22, 2020, the Health Department of Costa Rica issued a sanitary order with a general guidance for commercial, residential and mixed condominiums, with regards to the COVID-19 crisis. Because of the authority granted to the Health Department, such general guidance is mandatory and it will remain valid and enforceable until it is revoked by the authority.
As a general mandatory rule, the Health Department stated that the use of the common recreational areas of the condominiums (club house, roof terraces, pools, jacuzzi, gym, BBQ area, cinemas, massage areas, social rooms, etc.) is suspended until further notice.
The guideline established some mandatory tasks to the administrators
- Establish a communication channel with the owners and tenants in case that one of them can be considered a suspicious case of COVID-19 or he/she was in contact with a suspicious case, in order to coordinate with the Health Authorities thru the 1322 phone number. Please remember to keep any information of suspicious cases or confirmed cases confidential.
- Monitor the non-use of the recreational areas of the condominium.
- Keep the tenants and owners informed of the rulings and notices sent by the Health Department, as well as the daily reports issued by the Health Department.
- Keep informed the owners and tenants about the services and employees of the condominium that will remain in duty. Such employees will need to follow the protocol and guidelines issued by the Health Department about social distancing.
- Cancel any in-person meeting of the management board and/or HOA.
- Attend the suppliers, tenants and customers by phone, email and video call and avoid the one to one contact.
- Restrict the number of people using the elevator at the same time (trying to keep a distance of 1.8 meters between people).
- Restricting third party visits for social gatherings at the condominium, as preventive and contingent measure.
- Intensify the cleaning measures, especially in the surfaces frequently touched such as: handles, furniture, elevator buttons, door knobs, etc.
- Guarantee that the administrative, maintenance and security personnel has protection products like: soap and water, masks, gloves, gel alcohol, disinfectant, disposable towels, etc.
- Place the sneeze and cough, hand washing, no touching the face, greetings and population at risk protocols in visible spaces.
- Ensure the access to toilet paper, antibacterial soap, disposable towels for drying hands and gel alcohol in public restrooms, that need to be properly disinfected.
Obligations of tenants and owners
- In case there is one person in the condominium that has symptoms associated with respiratory disease, contact the administrator.
- In case there is an individual with a sanitary order issued by the Health Department, follow the rules and guidelines issued by the same.
- For those with an Airbnb or similar business, there is a suggestion to avoid renting the unit until the sanitary alert of COVID-19 is lifted.
- Keep the sneeze and cough, hand washing, no touching the face and greetings protocols as preventive and contingent measures.
- Follow the social distancing protocols issued by the Health Department, as stay-at-home and avoid the physical contact warnings.
- Follow the guidelines issued by the administrator regarding the use of common areas and the cancelation of activities and social events.
- Keep informed through the official sources https://www.ministeriodesalud.go.cr/
Please do not hesitate to contact us in case you need further information.